A few days ago I woke up to thunder and rain. I immediately knew I wanted soup for dinner, and what’s more comforting than tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich?
This tomato soup is full of roasted vegetables and compared to some other creamy tomato soups, it’s not too high in calories (although it is a bit high in fat)! This makes approximately seven 1-cup servings.
So, what you’ll need:
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers (I seeded one and left the seeds in the other for some heat)
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- handful basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- crumbled goat cheese to garnish
It’s not a hard soup to make but it does seem to always dirty a lot of dishes and it takes a fair amount of time.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Cut tomatoes in half and spread onto baking sheet. Seed and core the bell peppers and cut into quarters, place on baking sheet. Cut jalapeno peppers in half as well. Drizzle with the olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Cut the top off the head of garlic so that the tops of all the cloves are exposed. Wrap in foil.
- Bake tomatoes, peppers, and garlic for an hour.
- While the vegetables are roasting, melt the butter over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onions for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and thyme and saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, basil and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10-15 minutes, covered.
- Pour broth and roasted vegetables into pot; season with salt and pepper.
- Continue to simmer, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Using an immersion wand blender or a regular blender, blend soup until smooth. If using a regular blender, be careful to only fill the blender up halfway so that you don’t end up with soup all over your kitchen!
- Once the soup is blended, stir the cream in.
- Simmer 3 minutes.
- Top each bowl with a sprinkle of goat cheese.
You can serve this soup with goldfish crackers or sandwiches. My personal favorite is a grilled cheese sandwich on sourdough bread, made with either sharp cheddar or pepper jack cheese.