Cake for breakfast. Why not?
Recipe adapted from: alexandracooks.com
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Zest from 2 large lemons
- ⅞ cup sugar* + 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries (I used frozen sliced strawberries)
- ½ cup buttermilk
*⅞ cup=¾ cup + 2 Tablespoons
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Cream butter with lemon zest and ⅞ cup sugar until light and fluffy. If you don’t have a hand mixer, a food processor will work.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Meanwhile toss blueberries and strawberries with ¼ cup flour; then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to batter, a little at a time, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Once it is mixed, fold in the berries (it’s not necessary to add the flour that didn’t stick to the berries).
- Grease a 9″ baking pan and spread the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the batter with the remaining tablespoon of sugar and bake for 40 minutes.
- Check with a toothpick after 40 minutes, it may need up to 15 minutes more baking before ready.
- Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving.